This was a gift to attendees at the 2005 Centenary celebrations in London which were attended by John and Anne Davenport. Etched into the glass is the logo of The Magic Circle and the words The Magic Circle 1905 – 2005.
The supplier is unknown, but possibly Goldstons or Davenports.
A stack of checkers contains one red checker, which magically moves from the top, to the middle and to the bottom of the stack. Stamped on the underside is S. KLINGL, WIEN. Klingl was a well respected magic shop in Vienna, Austria.
As well as the magician being able to cut and restore a rope, the box contains a hidden drawer which can be used for an additional trick. The item came into the collection as part of the Grand Illusions (www.grand-illusions.com) Christmas Pack 2018/2019. It is produced by Lagoon, copyright The Lagoon Group 2012.
The citation on the display stand reads: Presented to M. Gintaro Japanese Juggler in recognition of his great success during nine years with MASKELYNE and DEVANT. 6th February 1908. See also the citation on the back of the medal.
The Pentacle magic club in Cambridge, England made this presentation in 1988 when John and Anne moved away from the city to Leicester. The glass bowl is inscribed ‘John and Anne Davenport 1988’ and is decorated with a pentacle star.
This was a gift from Frank Lane (magician & family friend) to John Davenport in 1968. John thinks that Frank said that the bowl came from Formosa. This is an example of ‘pipitis’, the condition which leads to the collection of items covered in emblems, such as cards, beloved of many magicians.
The European Magic History Conference was held on 28 to 31 August 2013. It was ably organised by Wittus Witt.
When the bell is suspended from a wand or a hook it will answer questions by, for example, chiming once for “yes” and twice for “no”. The glass bell has no decoration. The top fitting is nickel plated. Unknown manufacturer, but probably made in Germany.
When the bell is suspended from a wand or a hook it will answer questions by, for example, chiming once for “yes” and twice for “no”. The glass bell is decorated with three etched bands. The top fitting is nickel plated. Unknown manufacturer, but probably made in Germany.