The Davenports have been accumulating magic, puzzles, jokes, novelties and related ephemera ever since Lewis Davenport founded Davenports magic business in 1898. It was not until the 1980s that a start was made on assessing the breadth and depth of what the family owned. The collection has continued to grow through purchases and donations so that it includes material up to the present day.
The task of collating and communicating the contents of the collection has already resulted in:
- Specialist talks given at gatherings of magic history enthusiasts and researchers.
- Articles in magic journals.
- Books about the history of the Maskelynes, Will Goldston and the Davenports and their association with famous magical personalities.
- The opening of Davenports Magic Kingdom in Norfolk, England in 2013. In 2017 this was rebadged as the British Magic Museum.
This website is the next stage in making the family collection more accessible to:
- Researchers and
- those interested in the history of magic and entertainment
Once specialist talks have been given, their content is often hard or impossible to find. One purpose of this website is to make these illustrated talks available.
The Davenport family hopes that like-minded individuals will contribute their own illustrated talks or articles on magic history – contact the curator if you are interested. Credit to all authors will be given. We are also very happy to exchange links with relevant magic or entertainment history websites.
We hope that our website will grow into an increasingly useful research resource. We welcome your feedback which can be sent to the curator. A good way to start exploring the website is with the Content Overview page.
If you would like to receive an occasional email – no more than four a year – which highlights some recent additions to the website, please just contact the curator and request a copy.